Bye Bye Scooby Doo!

 I haven't written in awhile not because I haven't wanted too or I had no good ideas I just simply haven't allowed myself the time.  It hasn't been a huge priority for me lately.
Back in late March we found out that our dog Scooby was suffering from Spinal Ataxia.  Spinal ataxia is when the spinal cord is compressed and the message from the brain cannot get to the hind end of the dog in most cases, so he had the drunk wobbles as I called them.  That day we had done a ton of X-rays and so fourth at the vets office so we decided to give the medications a try.  With out the medications he could barely walk without falling all the time, so we tried the medications.  One med was for the actual compression of the spinal cord a pain blocker and the other was for pain management.
 We tried these medications for a month to see how we felt about them, and they didn't help as much as we thought they would and the pain management medication he just threw up every time. Scooby is normally a happy go lucky pup loving to chase things in the yard, jumping fences, running around the neighborhood, ect always been active.  The quality of his life was declining as my husband and I were trying to make every excuse possible not to put our beloved pup down at the age of 14.
 I had go back for a recheck about a month into the pills and he wasn't the same dog, he was still falling and he would just lay around with this distant look in his face.  I talked with our vet and she said that when we were ready to put him down that shed make herself available.  We took about 3 weeks to spend some major time with him, taking him to do his favorite things like car rides, eating left overs and sleeping in our bed.
 TRUTH BE TOLD last weekend was unbearable to watch my first love take his last breaths, to hold his paw, to talk about the saintly dog that he was, the vet called him the legend and had plenty of stories to share as well, to know that I was doing the right thing for him, we said our goodbyes, Lola our other dog came with us so she understood what was going on.  Ive personally never put a dog down my first pet died when I was in college our family dog Tess, so I wasn't around for that.  I put my first horse down when I was 29 and I got him when I was 13 that was very difficult I cried a ton but for the last 10 years of his life I was in college, I had moved from home, gotten married and divorced ect, so though it was difficult in ways it wasn't as hard as this because I had kinda detached myself.  
 The pain I felt was unbearable, I didn't want anyone to touch me, I was completely numb.  I cried a majority of Friday as did my husband.  I searched a lot for him over the weekend, I woke up at one point at 3 AM looking for him.  So to my first love Rest In Peace, chase all the balls you can now, enjoy being pain free, I love you more than you will ever know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women Supporting Other Women

How You Feel About Yourself is an Inside Job, Make Yourself a Priority

This Led Us to Our Invitro- Fertilization and Frozen Embryo Transfer