My Story With Health

I started my health journey around the age of 13.  I was playing with friends in the snow and could barely breath! This was the first time I had an asthma attack, and up until this point I was relatively healthy growing up except for the routine cold, flu or ear infection.  Asthma? Hmmm interesting. Basically to narrow it down, you can't breathe. But the doctors were also saying things like "overweight, poor diet and allergy shots!" As a kid I was very scared, so naturally I was trying to figure out what was going to happen.  They ended up gaving me an inhaler to use daily which seemed to work well until there was physical activity involved. When I would run I would get winded easily, so then I wouldn't want to run because I would be embarrassed that I would have to take my medicine in front of people.  I ended up in the hospital a few dozen times for asthma and as it progressively got worse I got more and more upset that I was letting my asthma control what I wanted to do. 
As I got older I started to understand more about my asthma and allergies and over time it was controlled well with inhalers and allergy pills.  Around the age of 25, those same inhalers and allergy meds eventually stopped working as well. At that time in my life I was in college at Johnson and Wales University in Charlotte NC, about to graduate with my B.S in Food Service Management and an A. S in Culinary Arts,  I was about to enter my M.S in Food and Nutrition through Johnson and Wales in Colorado and then I transferred to Radford University in Virginia.  At 25 I was living life! I was a smoker, and my weight was decent at 120 pounds, but  I partied, going out every weekend. I would be connected to my inhaler constantly, sometimes taking my meds 4 times a day. So I was basically killing myself . It wasn't until I got sick again with an asthma attack did I really stop to think what the hell am I doing to myself?  Being in Colorado, the altitude change was awful on my asthma, so I slowly stopped smoking. This is when I GAINED WEIGHT, which I hated! Then I started smoking again, and oh, BTW, I was a NUTRITION MAJOR!
I slowly stopped smoking. Got home sick. Moved to a university closer to my home and I started to change my eating habits. I hardly ever drank after the age of 27 because the phase by then had worn off completely.  At the end of grad school I weighed 120 lbs.  Since the age of 27 though, I have had ups, downs, twists and turns in life which have taught me a few things.  The most I have ever weighed was 185lbs and that was in January of 2013.  I was recently separated then and I had realized how much weight I had gained! I had stopped caring about me and I needed to get that back.  My asthma meds still weren't working well so now to investigate my diet. I did an elimination diet for my allergist here in Va Beach and I found out I did have triggers. I still have them and I still find out more about those from time to time in life.  I completely changed my diet and how I was eating and I started adding exercise by going to the gym. I also started riding my horse again. Slowly but surely I began to notice that I was loosing weight and that made me feel pretty amazing and by September of 2013 I was 145 lbs. By January of 2014 I was 130 lbs., and had hit my goal weight of 120 lbs. by September 2014.  But I hated my goal weight. I looked very fragile, so I decided I would be comfortable between 125 lbs. and 130 lbs. At the start of  2015, I weighed 127 lbs., and entering into this new year of 2016, I have maintained the same weight! 
I found out for me the number isn't important on the scale, its how I feel about myself and its about my confidence to be who I want to be without hesitation. It's about wanting and craving more from my life than I could have ever expected. 
In 2015 I decided I wanted to be a Health Coach.  I had previously been catering/ a personal chef, where I started my catering business in 2012.  Im extremely passionate in health and I wanted to find ways that I could help people with their own health concerns.  Health Coaching is a growing practice that looks at all aspects of a persons life and helps them figure out specific and personal health issues.  The main focal points are career, relationships, spirituality and physical activity. Through all of these personal areas, I can help them unlock their health and happiness for a better future.  Im so excited to start this journey and I hope you all will continue reading!  

Best
Felicia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women Supporting Other Women

How You Feel About Yourself is an Inside Job, Make Yourself a Priority

This Led Us to Our Invitro- Fertilization and Frozen Embryo Transfer